Tuesday, September 13, 2005

Life's Lesson

Life is B@#

Have you ever sat down and wondered what the hell is wrong with you. Have you ever woke up feeling worthless, feeling like your life is stagnant and you do not why that is or what to do about it. You did all they told you to do. You obeyed all the rule of life as laid down by your parents and society in general. There are times one feels like something is wrong somewhere, feel like life is cutting you a raw deal. When you looked around you see some people who didn’t try that much but have it all. Are some people just lucky or they are working over time to score in life than you. Interestingly, but it is true, there are times I look around and see someone who has defied all the societal rules but he/she seems to be scoring goals left and right while I’m shooting blanks. You almost wonder what is it they do have, do they have extra pound of brains than you do or why their stuff are going on so well and yours seems to be frozen in time. Life can be a b@#### as they say.


Social Etiquette & Business Acumen

Sometimes I feel that our Kenyan society does not teach us all about life and even in most families no one gives us life’s most important lesson apart from go to school, get the Grade A and off you go to campus and you will be rich and happy ever after. They neglect to tell us some secret of success such self confidence. I seriously think Kenyan schools should have “Success Acumen” 101. In this class one would be taught how to speak loudly and clearly (yes I’m soft spoken at work and this has not done me justice.), how to walk with confidence, how to hold a conversation and argue intelligently without resulting to insults and brawls (well with the example of our politicians on that .. I dunno), how to eat in public (that is important) and even how to handle stress.

This lesson I think should also be introduced to all the politicians, businessmen and women too especially if they are going to represent themselves or Kenya in an international environment. Trust me how you hold yourself socially can make or break a deal and that is true! So having 3 degrees flying high may be cool but lack of some important social etiquette might leave you high and dry. Have you ever noted that how many Kenya books smarts we have in Diaspora , some work for the high and mighty,fortune 500 Companies but they are still stuck in low level management? I think in order for Kenyans to compete successfully , we need to style up with our social etiquette, we need to polish that grammar, we need to speak like we have it (yes that is why Nigerians gets head hata kama we are so quick to bash them ), we need to know that kila siku siyo Githeri, go out explore other dishes so that when you go to that corporate cocktail or Christmas , you won’t be dashing away from the sushi or that Turkey Boilo)))) . Learn how to hold a wine glass siyo kushika like you are holding a bottle of kenbrew and many more examples I can give.

I have had a chance to meet even some of our Politicians when they visit U.S and I cannot imagine that they are the chosen ones to represent us in major meetings with dignitaries while their social etiquette is so appalling wallahi! Social grace can make you ride high and score that big contract or climb that corporate ladder faster than we think. We are in a global community and to compete successful we need to take some of these things in consideration.

It is good to know only what is Kenyan but at times perusing through other cultures can be beneficial too. Never know where they might send you when you work for one of the Multinationals or when your business goes global!!!

16 comments:

Spidey/Tato said...

oh that feelin of failure and disappointment is so true especially if you make the mistake of comparing yourself to others...life is a biAtch and it gets worse..but its that realisation that makes us wiser and mature

on a lighter note:
I am officially placing a careless whisper request from u on my behalf and akiey and milo! the 3brothers wanna hear Irena Purr!

irena said...

Poi: Life is a challenge to be challenged and even though at times it feels like we cannot tame it, it makes as stronger as you said.
NicK: Are you still nudging me to whisper...I might take you on that offer ..ask Akiey, I love being challenged, so watch my blog I might just do it for a sec.... didn't Akiey tell you I baby sit so I have a darn good lullaby voice..I have la voce molto dolce!!!!

Spidey/Tato said...

la voce molto dolce!

whisper whisper whisper whisper...if that aint nudgin i dont what is...

irena said...

Nick: You can do better than that ...:-)

Milonare said...

I think the key lesson for anyone wanting to be successful is the art of selling oneself... The only way to sell oneself is to know oneself coz you can't sell something you don't know well.

Comparison to others, though natural, will always frustrate as there are always those above and below us in anything...

Will the molto voce be directed at three communal ama individually on a case-by-case basis??? LOL

irena said...

Milo: True sell, sell ,sell.
He! he! Nick was suggesting threesome but me thinks case-by-case basis is the way to go:-)

akiey said...

You hit the nail on the head Irena, “Success Acumen” 101 is what the education should have as a core course in it's curriculum. No wonder so many folks have looooots of book knowledge but lack the essentials of turnning that knowledge into something worthwhile.
Loved the post & will mosdef return for more.

Unknown said...

Its amazin that after all this years of suffering and struggle Kenyans here back home are still not willing to change and adapt. no wonder the saying: as stubborn as an ASS!!
the old folks have to accept that academics isnt for everyone and doing what you love matters more than financial success.

We all have whack days but as I say if life is a b@**# be a dog and screw it right back U jus cant lie and wait for stuff to change

irena said...

tomas: True, change in this day and age is inevitable.

Guessaurus said...

Nice post Irena - and I agree with you on life lessons. One of these lessons that I find would benefit is that the 'White Man' is not God - no he isnt goddamnit! Its frustrating (I know I can be objective because I have lived with and seen them in action, so bear with me peeps) to see people defer to white skin because they think its superior, thus whatever the person behind the skin says goes..

Also, the lessons on self-confidence and self- belief, esteem could really go a long way in making us make those decisions that make or break..

In uni, we excel, on 'paper' we excel, we have the brawn and brains for it, why cant we hold our own in the global village(I know some of us do, but wouldnt it be better if we could represent ourselves more?)

Encouraging while competing instead of discourage when competing is the way to go. Life is a b**** as Nick says, but hey, sometimes we have to take it by the horns (dont even go changing and reading my words otherwise I warn you) and ride it to the nether! Damn I should listen to myself more!

Nice one Irena

Acolyte said...

Yes that was indeed a deep post.Yes we as Kenyans need to culture ourself more if we are to fit in and go places abroad.And yes learning to assert onself without being boorish is indeed paramount too.A Kenyan mama I know here is having problems fitting in coz of that, she is my age but the way she carries herself I thought she was much younger as she does little to assert herself so comes of second best many times.Vitabu are not the begin all and end all, yes and we must also learn to experience new things past gith,nyam chom and pints.I remember when i was in Kenya vacation for many ppl was drinking in a new town.Anyway good to read your posts as always.

irena said...

Gess:You beat me to it about some folks who think white man is a Demagod...and some people lick the ground they walk on too. It is rather too depressing to see some of our fellow Kenyans who floss when they are dating a mzungu or married to one (another topic for another day)and will take shit from them when they would never take the same shit from black spouse ....maajabu haya. They will showcase them, parade them like a trophy where they would never if it was nyeuthi , what an inferiority complex ... !!!Guess you and I should have collaborate blog on this!!!

Acolyte: As usual we agree on this and you are definitely feeling me on this. The need to widen your social circles has positive outcome and you only take away that positive experience and put it into good use. Living life in black and white is rather boring..gray can be quite refreshing! Don't you agree?

Acolyte said...

@ irena and guess. I to this day do not understand miroo fascination with white skin.It used to make me sick back home.I used to work with jungus and those ppl were even more disorganised then us!Anyway we as Kenyans need to expand our scope why is it as kenyans abroad the photos u see are of ppl at bashes with the usual green bottles?Dont kenyans do stuff like laser tag,bowling etc?You can only aim as far as you can see...

irena said...

Acolytee: It is a sad affair that the only leisure acitvity Kenyans can engage in is drinking and Nyama choma well prolly not all of them lakini ther eis more to life than work, Heinken and Nyama Choma. Well everyone claims they are releasing stress but eisshh there are many other ways of releasing stress. Have you seen the numerous Websites of such?

Acolyte said...

@ irena
well there are more ways of releasing stress ie I know some pals back home who used to get together and play board games and they had quite a few.I played with them once and believe me it was fun but such are a minority.btw:what color do you have on?If they are the proper color then Ill give you my address?;)

irena said...

bright orange:-) ha! ha!ha!